Big Issues...

We're a little bit busy and short on spare time at the moment, hence the lack of fresh posts lately. Sorry! 

Just a little thought that occurred to me, those of you who travel from Bethnal Green Station will noticed the recent arrival on a rather worn out looking guy, long 80s rock star like hair, denim top to toe - he sells the big issue.

Everyday, well almost, after a long day at work; low and behold he's there at the top of the stairs - by the exit...

His pitch goes something like this: "I'm homeless, big issue, I'm homeless!"

Come on, I thought the majority of people who sold the big issue were homeless, it doesn't make me feel sorry for him, it doesn't make me stop and buy a copy... in fact it does nothing. I am yet to see someone buy a copy.

What if the guy told it like it was, if you don't buy the big issue I will be foraging around in that bin outside that restaurant for food tonight... I need to sell a copy so I can buy a sewing kit to fix my sleeping bag so I don't freeze! 

Obviously marketing himself isn't his immediate priority, but just a thought.

Mike.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh?!

Rachel said...

actually I thought that the people who sold the big issue stayed in hostels approved by the big issue who allow them to sell the big issue to get themselves back on their feet. So technically not homeless. It is a bit of a "no shit sherlock" moment when they say it. Maybe if they did think a bit creatively they would sell more. Someone who spoke to a big issue seller alot set up a facebook group for him and it boosted his sales no end.

i'm so bored at jwt said...

Have you ever seen a Big Issue campaign in anyones book?

Shotgun! hahaha

Guy and Sarah, Junior Creative Team. said...

We had an idea to help the Big Issue sellers. It's on our blog, but the general idea is to get the top ten comedians to write five jokes each for the vendors to help them sell more copies. Nice blog by the way!

Guy and Sarah :)