Long Road and all that...

FINDING THE TIME 
TO WRITE //

A hell of a lot has happened in the last week and a bit, I've met some incredibly talented people and maybe I'll work with them some time in the future. It seems everyone knows everyone in this industry, I've heard it's quite incestuous but it seems I end up knowing people who know people. I'm in the process of putting together a singles type website which hopefully will help some people find someone to work with if they ever find themselves sans partner or looking for a fresh start. There are some facebook groups and that but it would be handy if it's all in one place. I'll keep people posted on that front.

But finally, I've been offered a job at Leagas Delaney! Which I've accepted. I started on Monday, but there's seems to be a lot kicking off there, which has resulted in my whole week disappearing into a world of hard work and pitches! I'm currently working with a new creative called Nick, who I've work with on a couple of bits before, top bloke and good fun to work with. Not really had much time to stop and think! I am fully aware I'm using way too many exclamation marks too, apologies for that.

Hopefully, this week I can get back to writing some interesting bits and posting a little more frequently...


21 comments:

Julia said...

Congrats on the job! :) x

Advertising said...

Congratulations, mate! Really happy for you :)
Guy and Sarah

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I have watched this blog for a while and this is thoroughly deserved.

To be honest, I thought your spec work was not anything special, but you obviously showed your ability to get work out at W + K.

It shows that hard work and the right attitude pays off.

Love from anon.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with 13:00. I think your spec was a bit crap, but plugging away at w&k did you a lot of favours and someone noticed.

Mike said...

@Anon 15:05

I think crap is a little harsh (& not exactly constructive - is it?) It's your opinion obviously, but it got us in places such as W+K... I can understand it may not be the best book out there, but come on.

Mike said...

Oh, and thanks guys!

Anonymous said...

Congrats.

However. Tim is a real c*nt.

I'm not just saying that. I mean it.

He's crazy, And not in a good way.

Anonymous said...

I stand by my words, I think the reason you got into w&k was not on the quality of your spec book it was the fact you kept going back and showing them new stuff showing how much you wanted a placement there. However when you did get in you made the most of it in your live work and it has paid off

Mike said...

Fair enough It's true. Although, we only visited them twice in all fairness (one of which was after the offer), with a rapid reconstruction of the book in between, but we certainly kept in touch. We did see Fab & Ida just before they passed on the placement duties.

It's Interesting I have spoken to a few people and it seems Juniors tend to have a bad crit and never seem to go back... perhaps you're right.

Thanks all the same.

Anonymous said...

I found, if you have had a bad crit it was all the more reason to go back and prove them wrong

Mike said...

Agreed. :)

Anonymous said...

is your partner nick tasker?

Anonymous said...

my experience of W&K crits is that they haven't been very constructive. maybe it's just the team we saw, i'm sure their nice people and all but that's just been my experience.

Mike said...

@Anon 14:33

No. I do know him though, met him in my time at Iris. I believe I last heard he was at Ogilvy freelancing with Phoebe (nee David & Phoebe)... I think... I may be spreading rumours there though, perhaps.

@Anon 19:38

Who did you see?

Anonymous said...

good thing it's not nick tasker, he's a right cunt!

Unknown said...

well done mate! i won't be back in london for now to have a beer on this with you though!

Anonymous said...

17:34
i concur

Anonymous said...

I concur with 11:49 about 17:34.

Anonymous said...

Get in!

Ben said...

mate, thats absolutely bloody brilliant well done. Now here's to slacking off.

Biscuit Barrel said...

Congrats mate! Really chuffed for you :) Best of luck!