Rayban Viral...

You may remember this...




Now there's this...




I really like these from an entertainment perspective, but the new one certainly feels a bit more 'real' - I use that term loosely. The first one makes me think, oh that's cool - but then it gets a bit silly, the second I could actually see some idiot doing. 

Viral as a term seems to be overused these days, I wonder if the definition is clouded somewhat. I see a viral as something that has the capacity to entice you to pass it on to someone else... or post it on your blog, in which case I've done both. I always think they are there to question the norm but still in the realm of believability - cue the is it real or is it not debate. Surely anything to do with PR, Advertising or promotion of a product should endeavor to be viral?

What do people think? YouTube seems the best place for natural 'virality' like the little kid playing the ukulele or the cat playing the piano (for a more recent reference). When associated to brands do they have to be entirely believable or just a bit of fun?







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

True.

But Virals aren't just video's

Take Facebook and Rage against the machine. Is that not a viral?

Was the Obama campaign not a viral?

Surely a Viral needs to be termed as something that is put out into the world and is shared without the need of 'Look at this' from the creators of said Viral

Mike said...

Precisely my point.

Shame especially when it usually just means they are asking for a catchy YouTube video.

Anonymous said...

Very catchy.