We're a Team! Not a couple!?


Anyone who's in a team has probably had this issue at some point. It's kind of funny really... 

The ad industry as a whole is quite unique, there's not many jobs out there where you get paid to do whatever it is that you do, to create and conceptualise ideas for adverts - and even beyond that - creating Ideas that make everyday life easier... well sort of... Right, enough philosophising and back to the subject in hand... 

Teams. We know we work in teams. Often an Art Director & Copywriter, more and more so these days as Creatives working on Ideas. We know that. Other creatives know that. The Designers, Production and Suits all know that, (well most of them do). Our families know that...

Then there's everyone else.

I have often been caught out referring to our 'team' - Phil and I, as 'we' - as you do - in the job, in crits, and when you're meeting other creative people... However, I have a habit of forgetting, people outside of the industry don't know this. It seems unless you're working in advertising you'll rarely know what this means. I can't count the amount of times, I've been caught bac-tracking having to justify that my work partner - IS NOT - my partner, partner. It's a guy I work with. Even saying 'my creative partner' doesn't quite cut it. 

It makes me think... there has to be another profession, in another industry, where you are required to work this closely with another person... and you'll perhaps even refer to each other as 'we'. 

What makes it worse, is that Phil and I, live in the same house - along with another Copywriter. We leave the house together, we return - often together, we carry a portfolio with our names stenciled on it, I think it looks cool and helps put the name about... but, I also wonder how many people that don't work in advertising, think something slightly odd is going on... It gets a good reception in crits and certainly gets a little attention on the tube. A cyan coloured portfolio probably would though right?

Do people outside the world advertising understand this working relationship?

We've got a number of friends from Uni, they studied and now work in Graphic Design. They'd know surely... well they do now. I've had to explain it to them in the past, I honestly begin to wonder whether anyone else come across this predicament? 

Now, Phil's a nice guy, but he's not quite the tall, long-legged, brunette or blonde girl I tend to go for. We're not that close. There's a little book supplied from NABS/ LIZ H* a little while back that says it's not a good idea to fancy the person you work with. Well thank God for that.

We learned that it's all pretty normal for any team, to agree, to disagree, to have fun, stress out, work late into the night, crack on first thing in the morning, there's highs and lows... all I can say is Welcome to advertising!

*I'll upload a copy if I can without breaching any copyright laws! ...or direct you somewhere where you can get one... if they are still in print.



10 comments:

Steve and Alfie said...

Know exeactly where you're coming from.. the amount of sniggers I get when i refer to me and my 'partner' are unbearable. And I've tried the old 'creative partner' trick as well, which im pretty sure sounds just as gay. Alfie and I might just become lovers to make the whole thing a lot easier.

]-[appy Thought said...

Right there with you guys, for what it's worth I find that if you describe your working relationship in the team as being "like Ant & Dec" people start to understand the collaborative, not sexual nature of the partnership, although I'm loathed to use those two in any sentence.

Mike said...

I have to say, that did make me laugh out loud. Although, contrary to popular belief... there got to be something going on between Ant & Dec. ha ha.

Nice thought though.

The Idea Bakery said...

It gets even more complicated when your a mixed sex team. Try explaining to your new boyfriend that you spend a good chunk of the week with another guy!

The Idea Bakery said...

take this example, when googling for site adresses for our portfolio site... oh dear :(

http://emilyandaaron.blogspot.com/

Mike said...

Ha-ha.

Touché.

LadyKt said...

I'm just experiencing this. I am in a male female"partnership" and I'm trying to explain to my relatives/friends even housemates that yes we are a team but no there is nothing between us, there never has and never will be. I am then greeted with raised eyebrows and a "yeah sure we believe you" look.
One housemate is convinced we are in love and are just killing time until we get married and have loads of babies to turn into mini creatives so we can start our own agency... mmm maybe not such a bad idea.....

Guy and Sarah, Junior Creative Team. said...

All my mates from Newcastle were a bit suspicious when I talked about my old partner: Michael, from Gateshead.

Thankfully it's calmed down a bit for me, now I'm working with Sarah - although I think she now gets what I used to - the old: "is that what they call it nowadays?" comment.

andymarkpeel said...

Yep, my parents have that issue when telling their friends what I do and why I have a partner and a girlfriend, but that they are not the same. I protest to call us creatives or art and copy but they never remember.

We too live together, saves on costs and literally finding 1 place to live 5 days before we started in edinburgh is hard enough, nevermind 2!

My friends get the gist of what i do, though they still ask are you with that chris bloke still. as if we love them and leave partners as often as women.

On a slightly more humorous note, we walked into a pub after a successful set of crits and Chris went to the bar to order food just as the waitress came over and I said oh wait..my partner's just gone to the bar to order, you should have seen the look I got off her! The backtrack nonetheless looked more like digging than justifying why he was my 'partner'.

Mike said...

Well, being as this seems to be quite a common mistake / subject of interest, perhaps i'll send it around to some creatives, see if anyone has some stories to share.

'Problems with being in a 'Creative' Partnership...'