Chip Shop Awards...

I've entered for the last two years on the trot.

Fortunately, I've been lucky & landed a chip in my first year for an iPhone App design for FHM & runner up in my category last year to the drink brand 'Responsibly', which I believe went on to win overall, so I was satisfied with a second place as I think that was my favourite entry of the whole competition... and still is.

As it stands Rapier (the agency behind Responsibly) teamed up with Brew Dog (the guys who made taxidermy beer bottle holders) and produced a limited batch, I'm lucky enough to have one sitting on my mantlepiece at home.

Anyway so I've entered again this year, with an idea that a friend, Nick & I created just before the end of last year. It's a couple of mins, which is a bit long ideally but be good to hear what you think.


Zoo York - Unclaimed Space from Mike Cuthell on Vimeo.


I have a real beef with the competition though, it's a personal one rather than a whole blown out issue to be honest. I generally think there are some standout ideas, I've included my favourite below. Genuinely interesting and clever creative. Forgive me though, there's a lot of cr*p on the site. I couldn't give a rats ass about the Politically Incorrect, Bad Taste & Shocking Copy categories. It's fun, and does push the boundaries of what's acceptable, but with an entry cost of £60 for students & £100+ for industry bods - It really does seem like a waste of money to enter anything other than something you're proud of. Each to their own I suppose.

I've included what I think is good, some are a little tongue-in-cheek & it's totally subjective, of course.
And for what it's worth, I think the first one doesn't need the top of the numbers... should have been cropped closer.







Notable mention to Mister Castro for his Saatchi entry... it's pretty clever in the grand scheme of things. Hats off, this is what the competition should be about.




No comments: