All Red wants to do is stuff his face...


In a moment of flashbacks as to what I was interested in on TV as a kid, whether it be cartoons like The Real Ghostbusters, Biker Mice from Mars, Turtles, Defenders of the Earth or shows such as Rawhide, Man from U.N.C.L.E. and a strange fascination for everything Hulk Hogan, (bad film after bad film looking back at it).... 


I assure you the list could have gone on forever... I began to think about how many I could remember and it's often the ones with catchy intro songs and thus it led me to the point of this post.

What adverts could I remember from childhood, so here we go....

Number One on my list....



And now in no particular order Number Two...



And Three, four, five and more...








Now, if I'm not right, then correct me, but I think the reason I recall these particular is that, not only was I of an impressionable age, but they all had wonderfully catchy jingles/ songs/ themes etc. The most spectacular in my opinion, is the Milkyway ad. An ad I will never forget.

I can't think of any ads right now that use this effectively, not that stick in my head at least. 

Perhaps times and changed and new trends have emerged, I know we are living in a highly visual age and jingles aren't necessarily the best way to go, but I know the words have stuck in my head for nearly 20 years, and they could have shown me practically anything and I am under the impression I would still know the words. That's an impressive feat, just for thinking they were cool songs. 

The Blue car might have won in the end but the Red car was still pretty cool. 

I hope I've rekindled some memories, feel free to add any ads i've missed that are of that era and sing the sweet tune of advertising jingles!

P.S. the baby in the Hulk Hogan outfit is NOT me.....**Added Club...Not sure how I could have missed that one... I'll do another post later if there's enough suggestions.



6 comments:

Adam Richardson said...

Cheers for that one lads, I'd completely forgotten the Milky way ad, I love it! And that Toys'r'us ad put a big smile on my face. It'd be great to bring back some of these ad's again now, maybe even do an updated version of them.

The point you make about remembering the ad's is very true as well, in 20 years will people have the same emotional connection to bouncy balls rolling down a hill? Maybe, I suspect not.

Great post!

julia said...

I love these! I too had totally forgotten that milky way ad. Although i think Um Bongo would have to be my favourite.

I spose most of these are junk food ads that would have been shown in between kids tv programmes, and the jingles used to appeal to kids and their pester power. But now advertising junk food to kids is out (along with the fun jingles) and everything is targeted at the parents, trying to convince them that it is healthy and wholesome.

The thing that annoys me most at the moment is that poster with 'wholesome cookie goodness’. argh!!! It’s an effin fat–laden chocolate biscuit!



ps. what about sheila’s wheels?

Joe Blogs said...

great post guys. Brings back fond memories. Another catchy tune was the 'CLUB' - "if you like a load of chocolate on your biscuit, join our CLUB" - genius!

The Idea Bakery said...

aw, thanks guys, you cheered me up at work reminising about the good days, singing the tunes at break time in the playground.

Hope everythings going good for you.

Hayley said...

I'd have to agree with Julia and who ads were broadcast to "back in the day". The jingles are definitely a winner (and certainly require more copywriting finesse than half the crap that gets written for ads now), but I think the cartoon aspect was a big part of it too - watching the ads (or the majority anyway) was just like watching CITV as everything was one big laugh.

Really is such a shame that advertising standards mean that a lot of these couldn't be aired at times when kids are watching now. I for one didn't end up obese because of 80's and 90's advertising. Did any of you?

Mike said...

Adam: I just remember our local toys 'R' us and Mothercare (2 in 1) had a huge slide in it - that was my fondest memory - and a big bonus.

I would like to see a flashback Milkyway ad or two... could be a lot of fun.

Julia: How about we forget junk foods, and make it 'fun foods' - what do you think, will the ASA go for that one?

Not a fan of Sheila's wheels (personally) Especially not the weather 10 second slots, fun but pretty irritating after a while.