New Blood 2008 Highlights.




Well, if I am honest, I didn't really know what to expect when I got there, we arrived near enough on time for the Private View on Monday Night and had a good look around - Initially I learnt that the shear amount of graphic design & illustration far out weighs that of any advertising on display.

On the whole I was expected to be blown out of the water by the standard of the work, considering this is a showcase of the best academia from around the UK - possibly further - I didn't come away needing a change of underwear and wanting to crawl into a hole somewhere. There was a lot of advertising stuff I just didn't get, I'm sure people might say the same about a couple of bits of our work, but that's that. However, there were certainly a few gems that I was rather jealous of. 

Like the true photographer I am, I left my camera at home, so have added a few photos straight off my phone.

University of Lincoln BA (Hons) Creative Advertising Display Wall


No idea what stand this one was from, but I felt at the visual simplicity was brilliant. Slightly envious - if anyone happens to know who this is then let me know and i'll credit them where possible.



This one I find especially amusing, a business card to put if your wallet ensuring if it's stolen you'd have the last laugh. If only the guy who took the photo had managed to get the other side of the business card I'd liked to have seen some more of his/her stuff.


Although it does resemble that of a computer arts magazine cover - I loved it, a stunning, vibrant, crisp piece of work from a few stands down, the backlight simply added to the work - again, if i'd had half a clue, maybe i'd have remembered its creator! Hats off.


On the whole the experience was good, we were given some contact details and have lined up a few things as a result. I managed to hook up with some friends from my College foundation course - a good few years back, people from the Watford interviews and a couple of friends from other Universities across the UK who were exhibiting. Finished off at the pub for a quick pint before heading off with an early start the next day.

Mike.



No comments: